" />

BANJUP RESIDENTS GROUP (Inc.)

Banjup Must Be Heard !!

Names of Natural Features

This is an edited excerpt from "Cockburn - Making of a Community" - copyright Town of Cockburn 1978

 

BANGANUP LAKE: The meaning of this aboriginal name is unknown. The name was first recorded by Thomas Watson during surveys in 1841.

 BANJUP LAKE: Recorded as Lake Bangup by surveyor James Oxley in 1889 and later altered to Banjup.

 BIBRA LAKE: Named after Benedict von Bibra who selected land south of the Lake in 1844.

 CATHERINE POINT: The origin of the name is, at this time, uncertain. It was first recorded on Admiralty Charts in 1873.

 COCKBURN SOUND: This was named in 1827 by Captain James Stirling, probably after Admiral Sir George Cockburn. Cockburn was born in London in 1772 and was a renowned British naval officer. it was he who took Napoleon to exile on the island of Saint Helena after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

 COOGEE LAKE: Recorded as Kou-gee by surveyor Thomas Watson in 1841 and later recorded as Koojee on public plans.

 DAVILAK LAKE: The aboriginal name was said to be Dgilgie’s Lake which was changed to Devil’s Lake by LA. Manning. The Aborigines then pronounced the name Davilak.

 JAMES ROCKS: From the ship, James, wrecked there in May 1830.

 JERVOISE BAY: First recorded in 1841 and probably named after Captain W. Jervoise who took over the command of H.M.S. Success from Captain James Stirling and was in command of that vessel when she visited the newly established Colony on November 28th, 1829.

 KOGOLUP LAKE: The meaning of this aboriginal name is unknown. The name was first recorded by surveyor A.C. Gregory in 1842.

 LUKIN SWAMP: The Lukin family were early settlers in Western Australia but precisely which member of the family this feature is named after is unknown. In May 1888 surveyor H.S. Ranford passed the swamp, and mentioned that 'Lukin’s Camp’ was situated at a good supply of water there and it is probable that a member of the Lukin family was stock-keeping or shepherding there.

 MOUNT BROWN: Named after Peter Brown, the first Colonial Secretary of Western Australia. It is possible that the feature was named by Surveyor General Roe who, according to Captain Fremantle’s diary, was attempting the survey of a passage into Cockburn Sound as early as June 12th, 1829. Mount Brown may have been named at that time because of its importance as a navigational marker. It is mentioned as Brown Hill by Roe during surveys in March, 1831 and sailing directions by Roe establish it as an important navigational marker for the Challenger Passage.

 NORTH LAKE: Recorded as Lake Coolbellup by surveyor A.C. Gregory in 1842 and known locally as North Lake since about 1895.

 OWEN ANCHORAGE: First recorded on a map of the Colony published in London by John Arrowsmith in 1833. There are several theories regarding the origin of the name. In his book Land Looking West, Malcolm Uren suggests that the anchorage may have been named after Admiral Sir Edward Owen. Another possibility, though a doubtful one, is that it was named after William Owen, a farmer who arrived in the Colony aboard the Parmelia. The most likely theory is that the anchorage perpetuates the name of Captain William Owen, master of the brig Amity, which anchored in Cockburn Sound on September 2lst, 1829.

 THOMSONS LAKE: Recorded in 1841 and believed to be named after Robert Thomson, an early settler who arrived in the Colony in October 1829.

 WOODMAN POINT: Named by Captain James Stirling in 1827, presumably after Thomas Woodman the Purser of his ship, H.M.S. Success.

 YANGEBUP LAKE: First recorded in 1841 and may be derived from Yanget, an aboriginal word for a species of rush.